Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My son, the Yo

I have never used "Yo" as a lone syllable in my home. I have used it in combination with other syllables - with gurt (the food), with yo (the toy, the moron), with yo-ma (the cellist), with ga (the pant - I do pilates), with del (the Alpine mating call), with da (pound per pound the most powerful Jedi).

So, I wasn't quite sure what to make of 3 year-old Edouard coming home from daycare and proudly announcing that he was a Yo - a young urban youth. Flashing a brillant smile, he further qualified his new-found status by brandishing a rapper-style "double-handed love sign". From then on, gone was the Oshkosh-wearing-Batman-watching-milk-drinking toddler. He had evolved into an oversized- jean-and-jacket-and-backward-cap-wearing-gum-chewing preschooler. He no longer lets Mom dress him funny. He sneers "n'importe quoi" at Dad's (nerdy) jokes. He remains however tender and considerate with his 8 month-old sister - she is the ultimate Bling to his Bomb.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J'insiste. Ces capsules de vie quotidienne sont de purs délices. Drôles, émouvants, habilement formulés, courts ces petits clins d'oeil sont savoureux...
Encore..
On suivra l'évolution mais le départ mérite qu'on s'y attarde

Anonymous said...

TOO Cute ! I luv it
PJ

Anonymous said...

My godson is a YO!!!!!!!! He can have the cap but if he starts wearing pants buckled at the knees, I will need to intervene. Can you say black ;)