Monday, April 02, 2007

An Asshole By Any Other Name...

In the same way stereotypes should not be by which I judge an individual, nor should the actions of one asshole be by which I judge a country. I met such an asshole today at the bank.

The ATM machine of my bank being out of order, I entered to withdraw money from a teller. The teller let me know that I could not withdraw money from him, despite the fact that I had an ATM card in my name for the account, because my name did not figure on the same account. Of course, this made no sense - I can withdraw money from anywhere in the world with the card but I cannot withdraw money from the local branch teller. Perhaps my multiple questions directed towards an administrative stupidity were perceived as much ado, perhaps it was my "foreign" accent, perhaps it was my "visible minorityness" - but I must have offended the nationalist in the man standing at the next booth. He made a point of letting me know that Belgium was for Belgians and told me to "do him a favour and go back to my country". The fact that I WILL be returning to my country is besides the point. I was being told in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome in HIS country. To which I responded by letting him know that he was a trou du cul. I made sure to use a correct Belgian enunciation so that "asshole" would not be lost on the asshole. I left the bank...a bit shaken up.

When I recounted this sad turn of events at the butcher's, an elderly gentleman turned to me while waiting for his roast, and assured me that not all Belgians were like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second the asshole statement!!...